[AG-TECH] Firewire camera

Don Morton morton at cs.umt.edu
Tue Jul 23 12:34:58 CDT 2002

Kyle,

I'll take this one, since I think I'm the most recent person
to try this.  Happy to talk with you via phone (or AG)
about this later...  The information I have came from a
potpourri (sp?) of sources in the AG community so, I'm
just sort of summarising:

- It IS possible to use cheap USB webcams on video cap machine
- I found success with the Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000 ($100)
- Good USB support in Linux kernels is apparently pretty
  new, so I installed RH 7.3 on a machine, then followed
  some instructions I found at

  http://www.isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/pwc/

- I had problems with the vic that comes with AG 1.0, and
  someone suggested I used the openmash version, and it
  worked like a charm.  That's it in a nutshell.  If
  folks are REAL interested, I'll consider putting more
  info on a web page.

Don

--
   Don Morton                   http://MRoCCS.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
   Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana