[AG-TECH] New Node Install

Jacob Jenkins jmjenki2 at olemiss.edu
Tue Jul 30 15:21:55 CDT 2002

Howdy, all.

Our AG Node computers arrived yesterday. Eager to get started with the
install, I stayed late to get the 1.0 release of the AG software on the video
and audio capture machines. However, the install process failed. The error is
of unknown origin, but consists of script garbage flying across the install
screen followed by an "Unexpected Error" message. The installer then
terminates.

My initial assumption is that the 6.2 version of RedHat that comes on the AG
CD is just too old to properly work on our machines. Without going into too
much (if there is such a thing) detail, our machines are:
Dual Processing 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 Xeons with Hyper-threading
Intel i860 chipsets on Supermicro P4DC6+ Motherboards
259 MB RDRAM.
The video cards on the audio and video machines are different and the error is
the same so I think they can be ruled out as a problem.

Has anyone installed the AG release of Linux on machines similar to ours?
Has anyone totally forgone installing the AG release altogether and simply
used a later release of RedHat or another version of Linux?

Thanks for your time.
--
Jacob Jenkins
Supercomputer Student User Consultant