[AG-TECH] AG Security

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jul 21 22:12:12 CDT 2002

>I quite like Jay's comments on the spatial metaphor for venues, and Ivan's
>query on what a venue should or should not provide. Having a spatial
>metaphor to get into a venue probably isn't important (as Shawn noted),

Hm. It may not be important when there are only a few venues; however, as
the number of venues and sites hosting venues grows, I suspect that some
mechanism for managing and navigating the topology will become more
important. Whether this is based on the spatial metaphor or on a
google-equivalent remains to be seen ... I think of this as being quite
similar to the webpage navigation probelm. If I want to get to the UCL vic
page, I don't remember that page - I either go to the UCL site and navigate
to vic, or I google for it.

>I would suggest we need to track this work (and ultimately interoperate?),
>if we aren't already? I haven't seen it mentioned though.

I've been tracking the SRTP stuff, but haven't been watching the other
groups yet. Do you have a feel for how far away from available
implementations the SMUG and MSEC folks are? There's an SRTP library
available (http://srtp.sourceforge.net/srtp.html); I'd be interested to see
if anyone's done a binding of SRTP to the media tools.

As an aside, I don't see that the wide/narrow bandwidth issue is
necessarily a security matter; it seems roughly equivalent to the problem
where I could run an ADSM backup of my laptop over the wireless shownet
here at Edinburgh ...

--bob