[AG-TECH] Tandberg Control panel

Jeff W. Boote boote at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 18 19:08:40 CST 2002

"Ivan R. Judson" wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Can you tell me if the software you've written is distributable?
> That was one big question I had.  We have a crestron at ANL, and
> some minimal software, but I was curious if there are any terms from
> crestron about "not sharing" the web server software or the touch
> panel software you write.

Well... I didn't write it, we subcontracted the control system
programming out. But, to answer your question, it is my understanding
that we can distribute it if we like. (It will only run on a crestron
processor of the same type, and only if you have the same touch panel,
and would only make sense if you have the same devices connected to the
control system via the same ports... So, I don't think it will help
much.)

> I know they have some odd licensing of the gateway (something per
> user/connection as I remember) that almost seemed to not apply for the AG.

Yes - the gateway software is licensed on a per connection basis.
However, how many different people do you really want controlling the
video routing in your room at once? (The crestron processor is capable
of controlling MANY devices and numerous rooms - the gateway licensing
was done with in that in mind. Your right - for this application, the
smallest license is sufficient.)

> thoughts?

I don't know that I would advocate this solution as a general purpose AG
control system. It is way overkill for that. It is however, really
useful if you have a hybrid lab that has many more devices then a
typical AG node. We have an "AG Mode" button that re-routes all our
connections, and sets up the audio system and the gentner to the correct
presets. If we had to do all that by hand, it would take us 10-15 min
before we could even start logging in on the display system. Also, it
was really the only way we were going to be able to make our lab
accessible for non programmers or non technicians.

jeff
--
Jeff W. Boote  <boote at ucar.edu>      The more that you read, the more
Software Engineer                    things you will know.  The more