[AG-TECH] Beer (and pulling the plug ...)

Randy Groves randy.groves at boeing.com
Wed Jan 16 18:00:50 CST 2002

Damn!  I was hoping that things would turn out differently.

But it looks like reality is going to trump vision this year.

Sometime towards the end of the month (barring a last-minute reprieve) we
will be
pulling the plug on our Abilene connection.  We'll still have an outside
connection, but
we won't be able to access multicast.  Funding issues will also require
that I mothball
my external Access Grid node and point it inward.

Our experience has generated a LOT of interest here internally - we will be
attempting
to implement a Boeing Access Grid over the next few months.  Where the whole
effort goes from there is yet to be seen.

So we intend to continue as active members of the Access Grid community -
but we
won't easily be able to interact with you.

And just in time to miss this symposium!  I hope that there will be a
Post-Symposium debriefing
at the Retreat! (I wouldn't have been able to fully participate from our
site anyway - <sigh>)

I definitely want to thank all of you who have been so helpful over the
last year.  I couldn't have set up this node without you.  And thanks to
everyone who helped out during my demos.  Those interactions really made
them shine.

You haven't seen the last of us, though.  I'm sure that there will be many
issues that arise during
the effort of divorcing ourselves from the services at Argonne.  I hope
that we can still bug this list
periodically.  And perhaps we will have some valuable experiences to share.

Perhaps the situation will change later this year or next and we will again
have the ability to fully participate.

Once again - THANKS!

(Drink one for me!)

-randy