[AG-TECH] Unicast-Multicast bridges?

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 22 16:46:52 CST 2002

Just a caution on these bridges -- the RTP spec (RFC 1889) calls for
using CSRCs and handling loop detection for these 'bridges' or
'reflectors'.  Without it, you might accidentally establish a network
loop that would bring the network to its knees.

In the case of a multicast to unicast bridge node that rebroadcasts
packets as multicast, if one is brought up in an organization, you're
fine.  If two are brought up a loop forms and suddenly things get messy.