[AG-TECH] Automated room booking.

S.Booth spb at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 10:29:59 CST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Ivan R. Judson wrote:

> What are you thinking about using to build this? I'm only curious, it really
> doesn't matter.  As far as I know the current NCSA scheduler is in windows
> web scripts, I forget the names/acronyms.  Something PHP'ish, perhaps like
> MRBS (http://mrbs.sourceforge.com//, which is based on webcalendar) would be
> nice, easy, and if tied in right easy to use.  I've got code to make MRBS
> present the web pages in the appropriate time zone for the client (but store
> all entries in UTC/GMT [er, something]).

My plan was to add to the existing virtual venue software (php and
postgres). The features I feel important are integration with the virtual
venues software (ie display booking information on the venues web pages)
and full automation so you can find a free room and book it NOW.
Last time I looked at MRBS
it was based on mysql and a large part of the complexity was irelevent to
what I wanted to do, or duplicated work already in the vvenue code.
The Calendar class taken from webcalendar looked good though.

Basically I'm going to add a single table to the venues database
something like

CREATE TABLE booking(
id serial NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
description text,
FOREIGN KEY (room_id) REFERENCES room (id),
FOREIGN KEY (user_id) REFERENCES aguser (id),
start_time  int DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
duration    int DEFAULT '3600' NOT NULL);

I'll also need to add a timezone field to the aguser table so bookings and
display happends in the users timezone.

				Stephen

|epcc| Dr Stephen P Booth             Project Manager           |epcc|
|epcc| s.booth at epcc.ed.ac.uk          Phone 0131 650 5746       |epcc|