[AG-TECH] echo-cancellation on the cheap?

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 1 11:35:56 CST 2002

Well, if you want to count all the pennies, you need to also include the
connectivity issues, staff, etc.  If your equipment costs $40-43K, that
still leaves $7K for the "extras."  I only mentioned this in the first
place because the price has been decreasing from $50K, and all of a sudden
you casually indicate that it's $70K per node.  Folks may get the wrong
impression.

Regards,

Barbara
-------------

At 11:37 AM 2/1/2002 -0500, David E. Bernholdt wrote:
>Sure, the EQUIPMENT costs ~$50k.  If you also have to factor in
>screens, hanging of projectors, room modifications, furniture, my
>time, institutional overhead, materials handling fees, etc., there's
>more to it than just the equipment.  I pulled the $70k number out of a
>hat, and certainly many of these costs depend on the specifics of your
>facilities, but these things add up and can't be ignored if you want
>to deploy more AG nodes.
>--
>David E. Bernholdt                   |   Email: bernholdtde at ornl.gov
>Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   Phone: +1 (865) 574 3147
>http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~bernhold/   |   Fax:   +1 (865) 574 0680

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

"The vast majority of human beings dislike and even dread all notions with
which they are not familiar. Hence it comes about that at their first
appearance innovators have always been derided as fools and madmen." -
Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)