[AG-TECH] echo-cancellation on the cheap?

David E. Bernholdt bernhold at jumby.csm.ornl.gov
Fri Feb 1 11:25:39 CST 2002

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 09:32:46 -0700  richardc at cs.utah.edu wrote:
> I have a few questions about the Polycom setup. Have you tested running
> the Polycom's in conjunction with Gentner's? Do they play well together?

The Polycom integration is not yet done.  My primary interest is in
sharing hardware, not so much in running both systems at the same
time.

So the basic plan is to share cameras, projectors (instead of the
usual monitors for Polycom), and perhaps mics.  I'll split the video
inputs with distribution amps and run s-video cables out to the
projectors.  Mics I'll either split or switch and run them into a
small mixer for the Polycom.

To actually bridge between AG and H.323, I would think you're better
off using VRVS or another software solution.  You could cross-connect
the audio on the two co-located units, but you'd have to covert the AG
display back to s-video to feed it into the Polycom.  If you were the
"hub" of a meeting and wanted to broadcast in both formats, you could
probably get them to coexist well enough, but without much attendee
interaction between the two systems.
David E. Bernholdt                   |   Email: bernholdtde at ornl.gov
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   Phone: +1 (865) 574 3147
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~bernhold/   |   Fax:   +1 (865) 574 0680