[AG-TECH] Feasibility Question

Bronek Carr BCARR1 at uk.ibm.com
Wed Dec 18 05:43:48 CST 2002

Hi all,

We are assessing the feasibility of constructing AG Nodes at four sites so
that they can connect together.  We shall use the conventional  letters S,
F, M and L to denote the locations. Our major concern is network bandwidth
and the goal of this question is to understand whether,  given the
available network bandwidth,  a good quality inter-site communication is
possible. We would also like to understand what are the project
constraints deriving from the available bandwidth constraint. Following is
a brief description of network links:
Network Links
Location "S" - Location "F":      2x155Mbps, present utilization 30%;
Location "S" - Location "M":     4 Mbps Committed Information Rate  [12
Mbps theoretical], present utilization 50%
Location "F" - Location "M":     4 Mbps Committed Information Rate  [12
Mbps theoretical], present utilization 50%
Location "S" - Location "L":       4 Mbps Committed Information Rate [6
Mbps theoretical] on a IMA connection [4 ATM lines] and 2 Mbps on a
permanent dedicated connection; both the two lines are at present utilized
only for small FTP download traffic, but we expect a 50% utilization rate
in the future.

We have not finalized the Access Grid node configurations, but we would
like to have in each node four cameras, unless network bandwidth
constraints forces us to reduce this figure. We also do not know have at
present any use case scenario, however, we may assume that the most
typical usage will be a two-site video conference.

Given that high quality video and audio are required in order to make the
Access Grid really useful, we need to understand:

Questions
1.  whether we are forced to limit the project to sites "S" and "F" having
a large bandwidth direct connection or we can hold our original goal of
connecting all the four sites
2. whether we can hold our goal of having four video streams or we should
instead assume that in each video conference involving locations "M"
and/or "L" only one video stream can be used
3. whether we should add a mixer, in the sense of RFC 1889, acting as
gateway towards locations "M" and "L"
4. whether we can afford having a multiple-site video conference or we are
restricted to two-site video conferences.
5. whether Gary Refka's figures (see Building an Access Grid Node), namely
 256 Kbps per camera/site and 128 Kbps per site, are adequate/required for
a high quality communication or not.  If we base our analysis on these
figures, 2,256 Kbps should be required/adequate for a
four-cameras-per-site video conference

Thank you in advance to everybody helping us to figure out how to cope
with this issue.

Best regards

Bronek Carr