[AG-TECH] PIGgish cameras

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 17 20:41:27 CST 2002

Hi Jennifer

At 03:01 PM 17/12/2002 -0500, Jennifer Teig von Hoffman wrote:
>Does anybody have experience using any of these cameras with PIG, especially with WinXP?

I can't speak for WinXP but under Win2K we've played with a few of the various USB webcams talking to our PIGs. They worked Ok, but they're not stunningly great performers in terms of image quality, especially if you push them hard.

I found a better solution is something like the Osprey-50 USB capture device with a good video camera (we've generated 12Mb/s h.261 at CIF streams which look very nice :-) ).

Of course, the cost goes up quickly, as does the space taken up in your laptop bag... :-(

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Project,        | Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 - CS&IT   |Fax: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Aust.  |Mobile: 0417 281429