[AG-TECH] AG behind firewall

Andrew Shewmaker` shewa at inel.gov
Tue Dec 17 17:37:52 CST 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:45:23 +0100 (BST)
"S.Booth" <spb at epcc.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 bernholdtde at ornl.gov wrote:
>
> > I'm going to setup a PIG-ish (piggy?) node on a network that's behind
> > our multcast-unfriendly firewall.  My plan was to QuickBridge to an
> > ORNL machine sitting outside the firewall.  I have a few questions...
> >
> > 1) Are there any performance issues for the bridge machine?
> >    Presumably its basically just forwarding packets, and so just
> >    requires a good network card.  Any recommendations?
>
> It is just forwarding packets. however you have to run two bridges one
> for video and one for audio so you may see some benefit from having 2
> cpus.
> For a perminant arrangement I think you would be better off with a
> multicast tunnel passed throught the firewall, most of the routing would
> take place at the kernel level and should perform better and you would not
> have to manually restart the quickbridge when changing rooms.

If I wanted to set up the more permanent solution, would I configure a multicast
tunnel route using mrouted[1] or another tool like broadway[2] or smcroute[3]?
Is this a separate machine like for the quickbridge or must the firewall
itself redistribute multicast through its own GRE tunnel?

I've read the QuickBridge howto, the Linux kernel docs, the Multicast howto[4],
but it is still unclear to me.  I would appreciate it someone could point me
to some more documentation or explain it to me.

Thanks,

Andrew

1. ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/pub/multicast/mice/mrouted/
2. http://www.multicasttech.com/?main=/broadway/index2002.shtml
3. http://www.cschill.de/smcroute/
4. http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Multicast-HOWTO.html

--
Andrew Shewmaker
Associate Engineer

Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory
2525 Fremont Ave.
Idaho Falls, ID 83415-3605