[AG-TECH] conferencing outside the box

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Sun Dec 15 21:29:46 CST 2002

On Saturday, December 14, 2002, at 01:00  AM, Andrew Daviel wrote:
> No matter how good the conferencing technology, there are
> some things you just can't easily do in an electronic
> conference, like chatting to the other attendees, or
> asking private questions after a session, or visiting
> the trade show. So I propose "Norbert the conference attendee",
> a personal robot to free us from the drudgery of flying to
> conferences in Hawaii when we could be comfortably at home
> watching it rain.

Funny that,
does Norbert look anything like the following?
	http://www-itg.lbl.gov/~deba/RAGE/images.html
	http://dit.lbl.gov/IMAGINE
	http://dit.lbl.gov/SC2001/RobotImages
This AccessBot was originally Integrated Mobile Access Grid Inter-Net
Entity (IMAGINE), but eventually got clipped to Remote Access Grid
Entity (RAGE).  The version pictured uses a fancy independently steered
and motorized wheel system.  This, however, makes it a bit difficult to
reproduce, so we are working on a simpler/lighter-weight RAGE that is
intended for the next SC Global.  Rather than spending all day machining
ingots of aluminum in the machine-shop, you should be able to assemble
the next one using parts from Home Depot and a few hand-tools.

Anyways, you can find a lot of these parts off the shelf from the
following suppliers
	Various robot parts to play with:  http://www.robotstore.com/
		http://www.solutionscubed.com/
	Cheap Surplus parts (motors/cameras):  http://www.allelectronics.com/
	More expensive cameras:  http://www.picturephone.com
	More expensive motors:
		http://www.pittmannet.com/
		http://www.npcinc.com
	LCD Displays of all sizes and shapes:
		http://www.earthlcd.com/
	Tiny AG-capable/Linux computers:
		http://www.cellcomputing.com/
		http://www.nexcom.com/
	Even Tinier AG-capable/Linux Computers:
		http://www.motlabs.com/ipaq/index.htm
	Position Sensors and quadrature encoders:
		http://www.usdigital.com/
	Nuts-n-bolts-n-bearings:
		http://www.grainger.com/
I  think I left a couple of suppliers out, but I'm not quite sure which
ones I missed.  Someone else from the team might follow up.