[AG-TECH] Sound localisation work?

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 1 18:15:06 CST 2002

At 08:59 AM 28/11/2002 -0800, Brian Corrie wrote:
>There is a group at the Australian National University/CSIRO in Canberra,
>Australia that is doing work on spatialized sound (not in an AG/conferencing
>context though). Markus Buchhorn [Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au] is at ANU and
>is also on this list. He might be able to help... The main person doing
>spatialized audio in this group is Stephen.Barrass at cmis.csiro.au. I am not
>sure what they are working on now... See
>http://www.cmis.csiro.au/imvs/index.htm for more info...

It's a bit early for us just yet, but we (ANU) *are* looking at spatialised sound for the AG, using some background from MPEG4 amongst other things.

Stephen's just down the corridor from me, and isn't in my group, but we have discussed some collaboration.

Doing a simpler left-right audio spatialisation in a reasonably acoustically-well-designed room appears to be quite feasible. There's some interesting UI issues as others have said (e.g. multiple video sources for a single audio feed). This feeds into some other HCI planning we're starting to work on. I'd be interested to know who else is working in this space? And how do we feed it back into the AG reference implementation?

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Project,        | Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 - CS&IT   |Fax: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Aust.  |Mobile: 0417 281429