[AG-TECH] Human factors and AG

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 29 05:07:03 CDT 2002

It's a very important point, which applies equally to any form
of video conferencing.

In the early days of the ATM-based VC service our senior management
embraced VC as it saved seeing the RAC Control Centre on the M6
move past at 5 mph.  [Explanation - we are an organization of two
laboratories RAL and DL, separated by about 150 miles of motorway
on which there is a permanent log-jam which happens to be beside
the RAC Control Centre north of Birmingham - back to the plot ...]

After just one meeting with the 12 participants at RAL in a
shallow curve and 4 at DL in a line, RAL asked for their tables to
be re-arranged as three sides of a square, with the incoming
video (29" CRT in those days) as the fourth side.  They felt that
without this there was precedence given to communication across
the link, rather than equally between all participants.  In the
end, partially for sound reasons, this became more of a "V with
a flat bottom" than a strict square.

In our new room I have 6 trapezoidal tables and 3 rectangular ones.
Three of the trapezoidal ones will make up an (angular) open
semi-circle that abuts neatly with the short ends of the rect-
angular ones.  These allow us to provide users of the node with
many different layouts, according to need:

	three rows of chairs, two of them at tables in straight lines
		(using trapezoidal tables topped-and-tailed)

	an ox-box of tables, with one or two rows of chairs

	a shallow curve of tables with one or two rows of chairs

	etc..

Given the fact that the videowall is 20' by 5' (rather than 29"
wide!) the favourite is the shallow curve.  With just two people
on each table segment, local communication is not difficult.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]