[AG-TECH] IGMPv3, Source Specific Multicast, fully supported in Windows XP

Jeffrey Eschbach eschbach at motorola.com
Fri Aug 16 13:05:19 CDT 2002

> Close.  You're right on with the SSM mechanism.  But in the ASM case, the
> traffic goes to the RP and then a subset gets converted into MSDP Source
> Active messages and are flooded.

Bill, thanks for clarifying.  My answer to Jay's example question was
coming from a simple, single-domain perspective... your answer does a
much better job of explaining what would actually happen on Abilene,
which handles inter-domain multicast.

Jeff

Jeff Eschbach                              eschbach at motorola.com
Networks and Infrastructure Research
Senior Staff Engineer, Motorola Labs Internet2 Initiative
http://internet2.motlabs.com              Fax:    (847) 576-3240
Desk: (847) 538-5846                      Mobile: (847) 980-2240