[AG-TECH] physical security

Robert B Heckendorn heckendo at cs.uidaho.edu
Fri Aug 2 11:39:03 CDT 2002

> I completely agree that this is problematic.  However, with properly
> planned dedicated space, a public AG is possible and setting up a few
> of them in public spaces could be an interesting demo.  Imagine random
> walk by conversations between folks at nodes set up in common areas.
> Or between a pair of museums as part of a technology demo.

I have really wanted to do this but I don't where I would get funding.
It would be public art... an experiment in psychology... an experiment
in human behavior.  I would like to have a wall in various places
around the globe that is in contact with others periodically changing
1-1 mappings.  What if historically antagonistic people could talk
through a wall that prevents physical contact or fear of place or
situation?  Would the wall become a forum for discourse or hatred
display or what?  Would friendships arise between people who can't
touch or move from location?  Would relatives meet across barriers of
politics, and space?  Could people better work out their own problems
over distance with strangers than traditional means?  What would be
the effect on third party observers that are allowed to watch but not
participate?  Would people give others the gift of performace such as
play music or tell stories because you can't give anything physical
across the barrier.  What if three way conversations could be set up,
what is the best way to make that work?  etc.  If I could think of who
is crazy enough to fund such an off-the-wall experiment I would write
the grant.  But this seems too wild for any normal funding agency.

> Setup considerations:
>
>   Use security style cameras.  Mark a spot on the floor for people to
>   stand.  Make sure windows show local video.  (To be really cool, tie
>   them to a tracking wand like they use in hospitals for directional
>   lighting.  The only place I have seen this is in Labor and Delivery.
>   Wand would need to be secured somehow.)
>
>   Rear projection system with glass/plastic over the projection
>   surface for protection.  This protects the projectors and computers.
>
>   Ceiling mounted mics, or directional mics pointed at the camera
>   focal point.  There are probably more clever ways to approach this.
>   Lots of science museums and even some playgrounds use acoustical
>   tricks to carry sound from point-to-point without mics, and
>   eliminate background noise.  You could make one point the camera
>   focal point and the other behind the screen, placing the mic's out
>   of reach.
>
>   Touch screen for venue navigation.  or to keep it simple, just tie
>   the system to one venue.

This sounds workable with a lot of room modifications.  Could be interesting.

--
| Robert Heckendorn                        | We may not be the only
| heckendo at cs.uidaho.edu                   | species on the planet but
| http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~heckendo       | we sure do act like it.
| CS Dept, University of Idaho             |
| Moscow, Idaho, USA   83844-1010          |