[AG-TECH] FYI: Cisco bug causing multicast problems

bernholdtde at ornl.gov bernholdtde at ornl.gov
Fri Apr 19 14:37:40 CDT 2002

This has bitten us a couple of times in the last few weeks as people
upgrade routers.  I thought I'd mention it here in the hope of helping
others recognize the nature of the problem a little more quickly.

Symptoms: multicast is "one way", i.e. you can see and hear a remote
site, but they can't see or hear you.  The BeaconServer shows it too.

Our local multicast networking expert tells me that the Cisco IOS bug
id for the problem that causes this is CSCdx11848, and it is first
found in IOS version 12.2(06c).

I'm sure that are other things that can cause similar symptoms, but
we've had two or three cases from this source in the last few weeks,
sometimes with sites we talk to regularly on AG.
David E. Bernholdt                   |   Email: bernholdtde at ornl.gov
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   Phone: +1 (865) 574 3147
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~bernhold/   |   Fax:   +1 (865) 574 0680