[AG-TECH] Multi-channel audio and ALSA

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 10 10:38:49 CDT 2002

I've just started looking a bit more seriously at multi-channel audio
cards in the context of AG.  One reason is a general interest in spatial
placement of sound (audio follow video to misuse a term!) and the
other is as a way of underpinning the idea of a global gig.

It appears that ALSA drivers cover a wider range of multi-channel
cards than OSS, and happen to include a driver for the cards I have
in my studio, the Korg 1212 I/O.

Does anyone have comments concerning how the ALSA drivers work
in an AG context?  I note that amongst the applications, there are some
files in .../mbone/rat/... that may be relevant.  At this point I'm only
exploring audio under Linux, not Windows.

I don't want to pursue possible use of these drivers - when we are quite
happy with the OSS drivers - if there are any fundamental problems.

TIA

Chris Osland

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]