[AG-TECH] AG Room design contest (tables)

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 13 22:53:20 CDT 2001

At 01:27 PM 13/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>The recommendations that everyone has made have been most helpful.
>So maybe it is possible to turn them into something more concrete.

Is that rendered or painted concrete, or plain ? Oh, sorry :-)

My two bits. Disclaimer, I'm not a professional interior decorator. Just
bear in mind that colours become more "significant" as you increase the
area they cover.

>Too Light           Okay               Too Dark
>---------           ----               --------
>Natural Maple       Medium Oak         Mahogany
>                     Henna Cherry*      Walnut

Agree that Henna is too coloured. I'd even avoid the Oak as well. A small
swatch isn't overpowering, but a large flat expanse of it would be.

I think the Maple would be fine, not too light.

>White               Gray               Graphite
>                     Cloud              Blue
>                     Beige
>                     Blush

I'd vote for white or gray - the others are too dark or too coloured. The
gray might be pushing it a bit. Do you really want this on people's
tabletops anyway? Looks more like kitchen benching... ;-)

>Light Gray          Tan                 Charcoal
>                     Taupe               Black

Again, light gray or Tan look Ok to me. Maybe light gray is a bit too
light. Taupe is too dark.

>Juarez Flower       Dresden Blue*      Fiesta Red
>
>* Maybe too strongly colored?

As a tabletop, all 3 of these are too coloured and/or too dark. Even the
Juarez Flower I think would be overpowering on a large expanse.

If you could get some loaners, or offcuts, you might be able to do a blind
test. Take pictures of a person at the table through a video camera, with
and without the table surface in view. Also try some tablecloths of
differing colours - woodgrain tablecloths are tricky to find, but the
effect of the colours can be quickly seen.

Do you have a commercial VidConf centre near you? Check them out, and talk
to their techs. If they don't mention the decor as an issue, find somebody
else.

Cheers,
         Markus

Markus Buchhorn, Faculty of Engineering and IT,          | Ph: +61 2 61258810
email: markus.buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: CSIT Bldg #108  |Fax: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Australia |Mobile: 0417 281429