[AG-TECH] newbie questions

Sue Rogers scr27 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 06:00:01 CDT 2001

Hello,
I've just subscribed to this list on the recommendation of Michael Robson
at MRCCS and have some very basic questions to ask for which I apologise.
If there is a FAQ I can be pointed at, that's great.

My usual work is running the university's central IP/ISDN videoconferencing
service which uses a proprietary hardware codec (Tandberg).  Part of this
service includes consultancy/advice for internal departments and colleges
wishing to set up their own videoconferencing equipment.  Hence I have
become involved in the Access Grid project with two departments both asking
me for advice, on a subject I know very little about.

I understand the packets are multicast and that there are 3 or 4
videostreams and 1 audio stream broadcast simultaneously because of 3 or 4
cameras portraying "tiles" of people/places and the distributed tool.

My first question. I'm asked can an Access Grid room also be used easily
for "normal" IP point-to-point conferencing?  ie does the control pc have
an IP number which I can dial up from my suite? Is it possible to send only
1 videostream?

My second question. I need to draw up a spec of equipment to be ordered to
equip a 5 x 3.5 metre room.  Can any of you help me with this please? I've
looked at the Access grid hardware pages which list the equipment and
suppliers used in their much larger room including all the cables and it
throws up lots of questions, eg am I right to assume I don't need 4 mikes
as my room's smaller?    Is 5 x 3.5 a sufficiently large size? I see the
Manchester room is much bigger.  We envisaged using the 5m side for the
projections rather than 3.5m side.

Finally, I understand there's a 5-day conference on the Access Grid 17-21
Sept at Manchester. Does anyone have details of this? I looked on the MRCCS
and Access Grid pages but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Sue

---
Sue Rogers, Technical User Support, Computing Service, University of
Cambridge, New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG.
Tel: 01223 335477   Fax: 01223 334679