[AG-TECH] Display machine specs

Gary Refka grefka at insors.com
Thu Sep 27 16:47:28 CDT 2001

We've just completed a test using Dell Precision 330 workstations on just
that subject.  Unfortunately it didn't work very well, the 330s bombed.  I
don't think it was the processor speed but a Pentium 4 issue.  It seems to
have trouble dealing with the AG video streams and you see large spikes in
the processor and has been noted on the AG-TECH pages before.  We were
seeing four video stream, just us parked in a room, running about 20-30% cpu
utilization and then spikes up to 60-70% utilization.  This isn't a big
problem with a low number of streams, but when you get to around 16 heavy
streams (200-600kbs) the processor is already running 70-90% and the spikes
take it over and things crash.  If you have some of the streams in large
mode, things bomb after about 4 streams.

We've also run some sessions on boxes with single 833mhz Pentium III and did
not have these problems.  You can actually run more sessions on those than
with the P4 1.4 and 1.8 Ghz machines so the problem seems to be more of a
type of processor issue rather than a number of processors.  You're initial
idea is sound just stay away from P4s.

Gary A. Refka
Senior Sales Engineer
INSORS Integrated Communications, Inc.