[AG-TECH] AG Centralisation

shudo at ni.aist.go.jp shudo at ni.aist.go.jp
Thu Oct 18 20:27:11 CDT 2001

Hi all,

Don wrote:

> Where does ANL see the future of AG "support" going?  A few of us in
> the western states have discussed the notion that we'd like to be
> doing more regional collaboration over the AG

I also agree with Don's suggestion. We have been feeling
difficulty in collaboration between far timezones
because we're in Asia-Pacific area, same as Markus.

> - Does ANL "want" to be the centre of activity for this expanding AG?
> - Does ANL "want" to have some centralised control over AG activities?

I feel to do any kind of research in the context of AG
even though ANL people initiated the AG activity and
contributed much to it. The technologies for AG are all
commodities like TCP/IP, multicast and PCs, besides very
expensive Gentner :). We can develop any sort of
software useful for the AG community. DPPT is a good
example for it. Development of such software doesn't
need neither permission nor instructions by ANL.

As Terry said, a venue server we can deploy
independently has been released and further we're free
to develop another alternative server software.

> I know there may be no real long-term game plan, and the answers may
> not at all be clear but,

I love "working code and rough consensus".

  Kazuyuki Shudo		shudo at ni.aist.go.jp, http://www.shudo.net/