[AG-TECH] Numerator vs Denominator

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 26 12:20:18 CDT 2001

>At 09:06 AM 10/26/2001 +0100, Chris Greenhalgh wrote:
>>I gather there are at least three candidate mechanisms for RTCP
>>aggregate bandwidth management (scaling each sender's rate so
>>that the total of all senders is bounded; in RTP/RTCP this is to some
>>fraction of the total data traffic). This would seem an obvious place to
>>look, as long as noone is relying on '10pps' as a magic number
>>
>>Chris Greenhalgh

Recall that one purpose of the beacon is to detect loss.  Here's how loss
is calculated:

            Packets per second received
            Packets per second transmitted

If the number of packets per second from a given source is unknown (due to
automatic bandwidth scaling, for example) then it is impossible to
calculate the % loss from that source to a given receiver.

===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov