[AG-TECH] advice on graphics adaptors

Mike Giles Mike.Giles at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 07:22:02 CDT 2001

Hi,

We're about to buy the equipment for a new AG node at Oxford University.
I'm happy about the equipment spec for almost everything, but I'd like
advice about the graphics adaptors in the light of recent emails to this
maillist.

As recommended, we'll use a G450 AGP board for the primary two displays.
For the other two displays the choice seems to be:
a) G200 Quad PCI (G2+/QuadP-PL)
b) G200 Dual PCI (G2+/DualP-PL)
c) G450 Dual PCI (G45+MDHP16DB)

Currently, it seems that a) is the recommended choice, but this is maybe
because until recently it has been the only option?  c) seems to be a new
product which may now be the better choice?  The AGDP Hardware Specification
documentation dated Aug 24th, 2001 mentions that some sites now use c)
-- can anyone from those sites please comment on their latest experiences?

I've looked at Matrox's comparison charts under

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/comp_chart/home.cfm

and I can't see any reason not to use c),  though there is a note about
problems with non-Intel systems, but we're going with standard dual-PIII's
so that's not an issue for us.

I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Thanks,

Mike Giles

--

Prof. Michael Giles