[AG-TECH] Display Performance Problems

Mike Daw mike.daw at man.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 09:31:02 CDT 2001

Just for everyone's information:

We were having performance problems on our display machine.

I tried John Shalf's suggestion of moving from 32-bit colour to 16-bit. This
had a small effect on performance.

I tried Marty Hoag's suggestion of putting my 2 displays that handle most of
the vic onto the G450 card rather than the G200 and this had a very good
effect on performance.

So thank-you. I guess we should change the G200 for a G450PCI as soon as we
can.

HOWEVER - something rather strange happened while I was switching displays
around. I was logged in as administrator and I completely lost my taskbar!
This meant quite a loss in the things I could do, as you can imagine.
Luckily, other users still had their taskbar and I was able to create a new
administrator user that had a taskbar. Has anyone else experienced such a
worrying thing when playing around with displays and if so, what did they do
about it? (And no, switching displays back again and re-booting made no
difference.)

Mike.

Mike Daw
Computer Services for Academic Research (CSAR)
Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building, University of Manchester,
Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7026 Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6800
Email: mike.daw at man.ac.uk
http://www.mcc.ac.uk