[AG-TECH] Audio Problems

Stewart, Corbin J cjstewa at sandia.gov
Wed Nov 21 16:05:41 CST 2001

We've been having an audio problem for a while now and I'm stumped.
(Background)
We had a working AGN, not used very often, but was left on.  Over time a
"buzz" began to appear in the speakers regardless of Gentner mute status.
When testing, we noticed that other sites could hear us but we could not
here them, however, rat indicated that we were receiving a signal.

(Failed tries at a solution)
1) We checked all wire connections and connectors.
2) We upgraded Gentner Software to AP-400 ver 3.5
3) We bought a new matchmaker and installed it following the AGDP
instructions for a connection to Genelec Speakers.(We are using Genelec
speakers)
4) We've been using the reflector to try to test audio but it doesn't appear
to be receiving any signal from the microphones.(we verified that multicast
was working).  I can however, generate a solid tone with rat that is heard
through the speakers.

(Symptoms Now)
- If rat is not running, when anyone speaks into the mic their voice is
heard in the speakers.  If rat is running then no audio is heard through the
speakers.
- Using the Gentner software we tracked the problem down to the signal
leaving the matchmaker and going into line in.   For some reason rat doesn't
see it anymore.  We used a tone generator to send a signal through the
matchmaker into line in and it was successful.

My next step will be to rebuild the audio machine unless anyone has any
better suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Corbin Stewart				     cjstewa at sandia.gov

Videoconferencing & Collaborative Environments
Sandia National Laboratories California
925-294-4856