[AG-TECH] RE: AG video node using berkley mjpeg work

Matthew Delco delco at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Nov 15 21:23:59 CST 2001

> Observations:
>
> If I set the mjpeg capture rate greater than 10 mbps the display machine
> never saw the mjpeg stream.  I don't understand why this is true.

The only thought that comes to mind is that vic doesn't have the ability to
recover from data loss (unless a special compile-time flag is set in
openmash).  I imagine that beyond 10mbps a network packet/frame gets dropped
from each video frame.

What's the status/performance of the AG vic with the Intel JPEG library?
The last thing that I heard was that this version of vic could handle
a fairly good framerate that was generally unaffected by image size.
Also, what's the interest/difficulty in porting this to OpenMash?
I'm not voluntering, just curious...  I'm sure that a few new API calls
might need to be made to the library, such as setting the restart
interval.

> On the Display machine (Win2K), when I expanded the mjpeg vic window,
> the reported frame rate dropped from 30 fps to about 15-17 fps.  The
> data rate reported also dropped from 10 mbps to about 6-7 mbps.

What would be nice is if vic decoded each network frame as it receives it.
However, vic waits for a whole frame to be received, and then decodes the
entire frame.  During this decode process, the OS buffers are filling up
and data eventually gets dropped.  This causes more jpeg frames to get
dumped, which (from what I understand) causes the perceived bitrate
displayed in the GUI to decrease.

MD