[AG-TECH] Alliance-All Hands meeting

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed May 23 13:52:40 CDT 2001

Hi Don,

I think the time is coming when we're going to have to be more formalized
about our scheduling, our willingness to participate, and acknowledging who
has agreed to participate.  I also think that you're probably correct in
assuming that if there was a formal agreement to participate, that people
would feel obligated to notify everyone of changes or
cancellations.  Hopefully, these things will get better.  I, for one,
appreciate everyone's willingness to participate and want to do everything
I can to make it painless for people to continue to do so.

Thanks for your comments!

Barbara
------------

At 12:19 PM 05/23/2001 -0600, Don Morton wrote:
>All, I'm really not trying to be critical but, I read
>the following email message from home, quickly notified
>a student who's volunteering for the SC Global programme,
>and rushed onto campus to fire up the AG for the "How
>to Build an Access Grid" presentation.  Having gotten
>to campus and fired up the node, I learned that the ppt
>slides had disappeared, that the session would be simply
>broadcast.
>
>This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened.
>I had an audience for one of the UKy seminars last spring,
>fired up the node, saw that I was alone in the venue, then
>finally learned that they wouldn't be putting that day's
>session on the AG, even though it was in the schedule
>(I believe it was the day of the OSC MPI class).
>
>I've already invited several people to some of the sessions
>listed for tomorrow in the URL mentioned below, but now
>my inclination is to tell them to come at their own risk.
>I "doubt" that they're going to show up, anyway, but
>occasionally they do.
>
>I truly understand that "stuff happens" but, I also want
>to assure you that when some of us get announcements like
>this, we actually want to try to invite other people but,
>I'm becoming more and more cautious, wondering if I
>should really invite them, just to have them drop what
>they're doing, come over for a presentation, and find
>out it was all in vain.
>
>I don't know what the solution is.  Would it be helpful for
>us to reply to these sorts of announcments and at least say,
>"I plan to be there?"  I got the impression that folks didn't
>expect a remote audience, so didn't feel it would inconvenience
>anybody to cancel the slides, etc.??  Maybe if some of us
>had responded, there would have been more reluctance to
>pull back?
>
>Again, I'm saying this in a friendly, but concerned tone.
>If this sort of thing had happened to an airing of the
>infamous "Survivor" show, rest assured that cities throughout
>the States would be burning amidst riots :) :) :)
>
>Thanks for listening,
>
>Don
>

>On Wed, 23 May 2001, Jeff Carpenter wrote:
>
> > This is a reminder that portions of the Alliance All-hands meeting will be
> > available on the Access Grid starting this afternoon (Wednesday May 23) at
> > 1:00 pm CDT
> >
> > Tech info and grid schedule page for this event is available at:
> > http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/MEDIA/AllianceAll-hands-Tech.html
> >
> > As we get them, Powerpoint slides will be available via the link to
> > agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu
> > and time permitting will be added to the tech page.
> >
> > Jeff Carpenter
> > NCSA
> > ------------------------
> >

>    Don Morton                      http://www.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
>    Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana
>    Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor