[AG-TECH] USM/MSU Multicast Setup

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 17 16:08:19 CDT 2001

At 02:24 PM 5/17/2001 -0500, David Sliman wrote:
>Bill, I have the beacon running on a Linux box at Stennis Space Center,
>crow.ssc.usm.edu and on my Win98 laptop, dsliman.otters.usm.edu.  They
>both show up
>on the web pages.  I'm currently working on the main campus.  When I bring
>up the
>BeaconViewer on my PC, I get "Server reply error."  I am going to recheck my
>settings on our Cisco router to see if I put in anything wrong.  Do you or
>anyone
>else have any suggestions.

Hi David,

Don't try the beacon viewer; the number of sources exceeds its capacity.

Go to http://beaconserver.accessgrid.org:9999

Or, to see a subset, go to

       http://water.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/beacon-php/beacon.php

and pick the sources you're interested in seeing.

Now, with respect to multicast service to usm.edu.  At this point it looks
like BGP NLRI=Multicast is not yet properly configured between you and
Abilene.  Here's what the Indianapolis Abilene Core node sees on the
peering with you:

>BGP neighbor is 131.95.194.1, remote AS 16430, external link
> davidsliman at usm.edu, 601-266-4004
>  Index 2, Offset 0, Mask 0x4
>   connector peer-group member
>   Inbound soft reconfiguration allowed
>   NEXT_HOP is always this router
>   Community attribute sent to this neighbor
>   BGP version 4, remote router ID 198.49.215.251
>   BGP state = Established, table version = 286721, up for 22:34:01
>   Last read 00:00:02, last send 00:00:09
>   Hold time 180, keepalive interval 60 seconds
>   Neighbor NLRI negotiation:
>     Configured for unicast and multicast routes
>     Peer did not negotiate nlri
>     Exchanging unicast routes only

There does not appear to be an MSDP peering between you and Abilene.
There does not appear to be a PIM-SM adjacency between you and Abilene.

I would recommend looking at

    http://www.abilene.iu.edu/index.cgi?page=mc-cookbook

for examples of how you need to configure your Abilene peering router to
turn on multicast out of your network, including Multiprotocol BGP, MSDP,
and PIM-Sparse Mode.

===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov