[AG-TECH] sorry, Osprey-200 instead

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 22 06:53:52 CDT 2001

At 10:48 PM 6/21/2001 -0700, Jay Beavers wrote:
>  However, 640x480 causes VIC
>to crash in all my tests, so this is of limited value.

Wups, sorry for the empty mail. A random splay of fingers on keys did
something weird :-).

Anyway...

How were you capturing 640x480 (which codec)? h.261 supports only up to
352x288; you may have hit bugs in other codecs which would be best fixed.

>The problem with 1394 is it sends YUV 4:2:2 pixel formats with the
>default drivers in Windows XP which causes VIC to crash. I'm currently
>investigating alternate drivers which may be able to return a different
>pixel format, perhaps RGB24, which makes VIC happy.  However, VIC will
>still use a WDM to VfW mapping driver which will add the 4x overhead
>back into the system...

Again, remember one can fix vic to do what is better. I'd rather it not
capture RGB24 and take the bus traffic hit (since vic is likely going to
change it right back to YUV, taking another hit in colorspace conversion).
It would be best to figure out why vic is not happy with the YUV422 video
(win32 capture code is all in the grabber-win32 module in vic. It would
also be great to turn that into a zero-copy capture module.

--bob

--bob