[AG-TECH] Re: Audio questions

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 20 15:17:08 CDT 2001

At 11:50 AM 6/20/2001 -0700, Jonathan C. Humfrey wrote:
>I have several questions regarding audio:
>
>1:  Is it necessary to use the ATI Matchmaker if we use powered speakers?

Yup. The matchmaker goes between the PC's consumer-level balanced
connections and the Gentner's pro-level balanced connections.

>2:  Why use active monitors instead of sound reinforcement speakers,
>         Aren't there open mics?  How about for larger rooms?

We've had very good luck with the Genelecs, which is why we're recommending
them. There are indeed open mics -  that's why we use the Gentner for echo
cancellation.

The genelecs work great in large rooms - we used a pair of them at a
temporary AG node installation in a large hotel ballroom and had more than
enough sound available.

>4.  Are any nodes using PZN mics, or something that picks up more than a
>         PCC mic?

We've got some of the Crown PZMs, and found them unusable in our building
as they picked up too much -- HVAC noise, building rumbles, fan noise, etc.

--bob