[AG-TECH] S-video cables

Jeff W. Boote boote at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 7 10:28:09 CDT 2001

We are using 2 coax cables for the S-Video signal, and then using a Y connector
on each end that combines the two coax cables into a single S-Video connector.
Our A/V contractor said this was the only way we were going to be able to
maintain the signal over the distances we were dealing with.

jeff

Mike Daw wrote:

> On doing some research into s-video cables, I've noticed that there seem to
> be a wide variety of options, e.g. plated copper alloy  for the lead, gold
> plated contacts, etc. To go with this, there are a wide variety of prices!
> I've also been told that the mid-priced leads can't really be used over more
> than 5m. I know that we can spend a few hundreds of pounds to get very high
> quality stuff.
>
> Can anyone provide any recommendations/guidance on this subject? E.g should
> I just go for the cheapest and limit the distance between PC and cameras? Or
> are these no good anyway?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> Mike Daw
> Computer Services for Academic Research (CSAR)
> Manchester Computing, University of Manchester
> Manchester M13 9PL, UK
> Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7026 Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6800
> Email: mike.daw at man.ac.uk
> http://www.mcc.ac.uk

Jeff W. Boote  <boote at ucar.edu>      The more that you read, the more
Software Engineer                    things you will know.  The more
VETS/SCD/NCAR                        that you learn, the more places
Boulder, Colorado, USA               you'll go.        Dr. Suess