[AG-TECH] Linux networking problems

Kay Gunn gunn at colltech.com
Wed Jul 25 09:19:36 CDT 2001

I have noticed some weird behaviour/poor network performance on my Linux
audio and video capture stations.  They are running the AG 1.0 linux 6.2
OS downloaded from ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/AG/redhat-2001-0614-0732.iso.
In one machine I have an Intel PCI EtherExpress Pro 100 network card, in
the other a PCI 3c905c Tornado.  They are both set to run full duplex
100MB and are hooked up to the same switch as a Redhat linux 7.1 ftp
server.  When ftping files btw the grid nodes and my ftp server, I get a
transfer rate of less than 3MB/second on each machine.  Doing the same
transfer btw the ftp server and 2 different machines on the same switch
running Redhat 7.1 with the same PCI 3c905c Tornado cards set to 100MB
full duplex, I get a transfer rate of 11MB/sec. I've run these tests
multiple times and always get the same results.

Basically I'm getting much better thruput with 7.1.  Anyone have any ideas
as to how to fix this with the AG release?

------
Kay Gunn