[AG-TECH] Hi-quality video

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 23 07:11:56 CDT 2001

At 03:52 PM 7/22/2001 -0700, Jay Beavers wrote:
>We are doing 640x480 @ 15 fps using Sony 1394 cameras, encoding them
>using software M-JPEG, and transmitting them with a RTP stack that
>supports Forward Error Correction which we found to be a requirement
>when sending large frame video.

Which stack is this? I've not paid much attention to FEC, but that sounds
cool. Is it an RFC2733 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2733.txt) FEC stack?

>This system works side by side on the same box with analog capture cards
>such as the Osprey 200 and Osprey 500 (which supports hardware
>deinterlacing of NTSC signals).  We have found VIC quite unstable when
>transmitting (receiving is just fine) video streams under Windows 2000
>and Windows XP, so side by side on one computer is problematic at best
>because VIC keeps crashing.  We've also found that VIC cannot deal with
>our 1394 camera drivers which are based on the newer capture API WDM
>(Windows Driver Model) instead of the older standard VfW (Video for
>Windows).

Found this about WDM:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwbgen/html/vidcap.asp

Do you have a simple example of video capture under WDM, where the
application code ends up with the bits from the camera?

>We'll be releasing the RTP stack and a conference management application
>in December per my previous message.  By December, I hope to have
>support for not only M-JPEG (which is a bit of a CPU hog), but also ISO
>MPEG-4 (decoding)

What are you using for MPEG-4 encoding?

--bob