[AG-TECH] FYI: Update on progress at Microsoft Research

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 20 18:44:08 CDT 2001

I've had several requests for more information on our progress toward
creating an AG node that runs on a single computer running Windows XP.
I thought I'd use this opportunity to address the discussion list and
hit everyone at once.

We're making good headway working on an optimized RTP conferencing stack
for Windows XP.  We're now streaming across the Internet2 from multiple
sites sending 320x240 and 640x480 MJPEG compressed video streams at 15
fps and uncompressed CD quality audio streams.  We have the latency of
both audio and video down to the 100-200 ms range.  We are using a
simple Forward Error Correction algorithm to enable consistent
high-quality conferencing in real-world Internet2 environments, not just
the test lab.

We're currently encoding/sending two 320x240 streams and a 640x480
stream and decoding a 640x480 stream and three 320x240 streams on one
box using high quality Firewire cameras.

We're going to be demonstrating this system in a distributed classroom
scenario at the Microsoft Research Faculty Summit in Redmond next
Tuesday.  I'll also be talking about our work-to-date and some of the
challenges we've found and overcome at the upcoming WACE conference
<http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/fl/wace/>
(http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/fl/wace/) (co-located with HPDC-10).  We're
on target to release a beta version of this software around the December
timeframe.

After things calm down a bit, I'll be updating our Distributed Classroom
project homepage <http://portal.learningwebservices.com/DISC>
(http://portal.learningwebservices.com/DISC/
<http://portal.learningwebservices.com/DISC/> ) with additional details
on what we've accomplished to date including hardware specifics,
performance measurements and more details on our development directions.
This won't happen until late next week at the earliest as my team is
heads down focusing on the faculty summit right now.

-          jcb