[AG-TECH] Video capture problem (and workaround!)

Mike Daw mike.daw at man.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 11:40:34 CDT 2001

I have found a problem with my video capture that causes the PC to crash
(screen freezes, keyboard and mouse locked). I have a workaround but I
wonder if anyone else has had the same problem, or whether it is possible to
find a more reliable solution.

If I run setup-config, and set Video standard to PAL (or set the frame rate
above 20, or set the quality above 80) and then press Test, the PC crashes.

If I set the Video standard to NTSC (and set the frame rate to 20, and the
quality to 80), press Test and *then* change the Video standard to PAL,
there is no problem.

I need to do this for each card in turn. (A fuller explanation is documented
at http://www.man.ac.uk/mrccs/global_supercomputing/vidcapturesetup.html)

I only found this after changing around the video capture cards, thinking
that hardware may be the problem!

Any thoughts? One possible factor is that we are using the WinTV Theater
model of Hauppage card rather than the specific model suggested by Bob.

Anyway, hopefully once the capture is working, it should be stable (although
this may not be true... in which case the problem will become more of a
pain - I'll mail again if this is the case).

Mike Daw
Computer Services for Academic Research (CSAR)
Manchester Computing, University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7026 Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6800
Email: mike.daw at man.ac.uk
http://www.mcc.ac.uk