[AG-TECH] Re: Swtich boxes: VGA and monitor/mouse/keyboard

Richard Coffey richardc at cs.utah.edu
Thu Jan 11 22:53:57 CST 2001

Robert Olson wrote:

> The big BlackBox server switch we have ia a Rolls Royce of switches - very
> nice, lets multiple people use the same machine at once, etc. It's way
> pricy tho (we inherited it from another project).

We have a similar product from Lightwave for our Origins. It's called a Matrix
Hub and can do all sorts of crazy routing. I think it was around $40,000 after
we got the features we wanted.. (http://www.lightwavecom.com/)

We use the smaller Belkin OmniCube (4x1) and are very satisfied. Be sure
whatever k/v/m you buy has remote switching via the master keyboard.
(http://www.belkin.com/)

As a caveat, some of the new switches with USB ports don't play well with
Windows2000. One of the researchers at the SCI Institute recently bought a
USB/k/v/m switch. The USB switching worked well under Linux but barfed under
2000.

Cheers,
Richard C.