[AG-TECH] AGN Construction for Dummies

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 2 13:18:28 CST 2001

Hi Don,

As we discussed, every time I speak with folks at NSF or in EPSCoR states,
they ask me if we can't come up with less wizardry related to the AGNs.  I
think this would be a very practical step in the right direction.  I'm sure
that the ANL folks would be delighted to have you pursue this effort . . .
but let's hear it from them.

Barbara
------------

At 11:14 AM 01/02/2001 -0700, Don Morton wrote:
>Our AGN computers are due in this week, and I plan to take very
>careful notes on what I'm doing to set up the gear.  I'd like to
>think it would be worth expanding on to ultimately create some sort
>of Dummies Guide to setting up an AGN.  In reality, I think I'd
>like to call it something like "An Outdoors Person's Guide....."
>since the real problem is that I'm not necessarily a dummy, I'd
>just prefer to spend more time on outdoors activities :) :)  As
>someone with very little knowledge in this area (but background
>as an electronics technician in the Air Force), I think maybe
>I could deliver such material from a useful perspective.
>
>Barbara Kucera mentioned a Steve Gordon working on a "cookbook",
>and I saw one on an Internet 2 site (not sure if it's the same
>one).  I also know that Bob Olson has started up a Faq-o-matic
>on some of these issues.  My hope is to come up with something
>comprehensive (i.e. trying not to keep pointing people to other
>sites for background info), usable by someone who's sort of technical,
>and something that might try to explain "why" we're adjusting this
>and that.
>
>Does anybody see a demand for this?  Would it be worth
>my while trying to head up something like this?  Note that
>I have no financial motivations on this and would prefer to keep
>it "Open Source" :).   My hope is that keeping it this way would
>make others more willing to contribute their hard-earned notes
>and experiences.
>
>I think in some cases, with constantly-changing equipment, this sort
>of thing might be quite difficult to nail down.
>
>I'll be at the retreat (but have to leave at Noon on Wednesday),
>and can talk with anybody who may be interested.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Don
>

>--
>    Don Morton                     http://www.cs.umt.edu/u/morton/
>    Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana
>    Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor