[AG-TECH] Node startup

Gary Orser orser at cns.montana.edu
Mon Feb 26 13:11:18 CST 2001

Hi all,

Things are coming along...

computers are up, cameras work, network works, beacon works,
audio card works

just a few niggling problems.

o the first one

The agvideo node crashes with
/usr/local/bin/ag/config-setup
crashes hard, kernel panic
while setting up bttv stuff

when there are 4 video cards,
NOT with 3 or fewer video cards.

I've swapped the cards around, so it doesn't seem
to be one particular card???

Tried a couple of Bob's iso images
The very latest from the ftp site.
The one I got in Sept.
No difference

o the second one

I can't seem to make the control computer see the
gentner.  The software comes up, I've set the baud rates
to com1 and 9600 (the default is a nasty gotcha, 38400),
added a new location, added a new ap 800, baud 9600

The software never locates the gentner...

Tried standard serial cable, standard modem cable,
and got a custom cable wired per gentner specs
2-2
3-3
5-5
7,8 jumpered computer side

What's the magic here?

o three, a setup question

Trying to design cabling

Does the setup monitor,kbd,and mouse  controlling the ag computers need to
be to be in camera view?  My cabling will be simpler if not.  It
will be in the same (relatively small) room.

Cheers, Gary
Gary Orser , (406) 994-6451, orser at nervana.montana.edu
Montana State University
Center for Computational Biology