[AG-TECH] Multicast workaround?

Jennifer Teig von Hoffman jtvh at bu.edu
Fri Feb 23 14:41:14 CST 2001

Hi Don,

Here's some info on the multicast/unicast bridge. Others are more
qualified than I to talk about tunnelling (heck, others are more qualified
than I to talk about bridging too, so somebody jump in here if I'm
forgetting something).

If you log into Virtual Venues and follow the links to a given room, you
will see on the web page associated with that room a list of commands. For
example, in the lobby you'd see (among other things)
	Bridge: vtc AccessGridLobbyvideo bridge-1.accessgrid.org ag
	Bridge: vtc AccessGridLobbyaudio bridge-1.accessgrid.org ag

You'll need to install vtc on your display, audio, and video machines (if
you haven't already). See the software download page for where to get it.
Once that's properly installed, you run those commands on the various
machines (ie, video command once on display machine, audio command once on
audio machine, video command as many times on video machine as you have
cameras). You'll probably need to make some manual adjustments in vic on
the video machine to get it to find the right camera(s) (ie, each vic
instance needs to pick up one of your cameras).

(I've gotten stuck and confused more than once by vtc not being able to
find vic, which apparently was not in my path at the time, so that's
something to watch for. Also, you'll need to either put vtc in your path
or run it from the directory it's in.)

And if you get started on all this and get stuck, jump on the Waterfall
Glen MUD -- most if not all of us have used the bridge at one time or
another. Also come hang out there if you're looking for people to do
testing with.

- Jennifer