[AG-TECH] Help with hardware configuration

Mike Daw Mike.Daw at man.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 10:11:10 CDT 2001

I recently mailed a tentative request for advice for this. Attached is a
pdf file with the proposed hardware for our node.

We'd be very grateful if people could have a look and see if there are any
potential problems/conflicts, etc. with what we're proposing. (Or anything
missing!)

Please bear the following points in mind:

1. Instead of building our own PCs (the specs for which are in the pdf
file), we're thinking of going with Dell (say) pre-built machines. Dell
supply their standard workstations with Matrox G450 cards.

2. Our spec says only the display computer is dual processor, but we know
they all should be.

3. Our spec says all the computers are Windows 2000, but we know only
the display computer is; the video and audio capture computers should
be Linux; and the control computer Windows 98.

4. Bob Olson's spec on the web says a "Power Conditioner" is "highly
recommended". Firstly, APS Technologies (www.apstech.com) do the kind of
equipment to handle power surges, etc. Is this what was meant? Secondly,
given the choice of more power for a PC (say) or one of these things,
which would you buy?

Looking forward to your comments...!

Mike Daw
Computer Services for Academic Research (CSAR)
Manchester Computing, University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7026 Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6800
Email: mike.daw at man.ac.uk
http://www.mcc.ac.uk