[AG-TECH] Invitation Joining Virtual Venue Server Experiments

Rick Stevens stevens at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 24 13:16:32 CDT 2001

Access Grid Virtual Venue Prototype Scalability Experiment

We are looking for a small group of folks who are willing to help us
experiment with a new prototype of a scalable virtual venues server. Each
site that participates in this project will be asked to run a prototype of
a venues
server at their site and make the venues on it publicly available. The
prototype servers will be interlinked, such that a node can navigate from
venues local to one server to venues served by a completely different
installation.

As we begin to build a large-scale Grid communities the need to support
linked AG servers is the crucial next step in building scalability into the
Access Grid. Furthermore, we believe that it is essential that AG
communities not deploy isolated islands of servers, but instead build into
future AG Servers the capability to support a linked fabric of venues
similar to linked sets of web pages that enable rapid navigation from one
venue to another.   Ultimately we plan to develop a set of AG community
servers that will provide venue overlays and directory services that will
help users navigate the space of venues.

This experiment is the first step along the road to enabling interconnections.

Please do not volunteer for this experiment unless you:
  * Have a working AG node,
  * Have an ADDITIONAL pc similar to an AG audio machine (sans audio cards),
  * Are willing get banged up by and tinker with early release software,
  * Will provide feedback and participate actively in the experiment.

It is highly recommended that participating sites have operational multicast.

The prototype will be available in mid-may. At that time, we will expect
participating sites to jump in and aggressively play. Note that
participation in the project will not detach you from the existing AG
community. When not involved in prototype-based experiments, you will be
able to log in to the community-wide venues server.  Our goal is to
finalize this prototype server in time to base the SC-Global event on a set
of distributed venues.

To volunteer for the Scalability Experiment, please send mail to
olson at mcs.anl.gov expressing your interest. Finally, please understand that
we may not be able to accommodate all volunteers.