[AG-TECH] Single Linux Box Node

Rick Stevens stevens at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 23 13:03:40 CDT 2001

Yes.. that is why we settled on four boxes :-)

no existing single box solution (Linux or Windows) has enough cpu cycles or
bus and graphics
bandwidth to support multiple audio channels, 4 cameras in, and decode 20+
video streams out,
not to mention running future AG oriented applications and be ready for the
next generation of
AG software that is in development.

The point is that we need multiple audio and video channels to help create
a sense of
presence for the AG users and this has been what determines the node HW
configuration.

It is possible (likey!!) that in the future we can a) move to a single box
hardware platform once hardware catches up to the minimum performance
requirement for multiple A/V channels and/or b) exploit game console type
hardware (which will have enough performance for video captures etc) that
while still likely to require multiple boxes per node, would potentially
get the price point for the hardware down.

Having said all of that.. I should point out that the ANL group is working
on some AG requirements docs that
will help with scoping experiments for alternative hardware platforms..