[AG-TECH] Beacons: restart needed

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 11 06:38:08 CDT 2001

Hi -

If you've looked at the beacon matrix page lately, you'll notice that all
is not right there. Something's caused most beacons to stop sending reports
to the beacon server. Though we don't yet know the cause, we do know that a
restart of your beacon will be necessary for it to show up again on the matrix.

Please do so at your earliest convenience. If you're running a beacon on an
AG linux box, you can restart by either simply rebooting the machine
running the beacon, or by running the following as root:

	kill `ps axuw | grep 'java Beacon' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`
	/etc/rc.d/init.d/nlanr-beacon start

Note there's a bug in the init.d script such that a restart via the script
does *not* work. (If someone wants to fix that... :-)

thanks,
--bob