[AG-TECH] RE: April 13th Meeting

Jennifer Teig von Hoffman jtvh at bu.edu
Mon Apr 9 09:06:16 CDT 2001

Thanks Raquell; that's very helpful. I'm looking forward to working with
everybody on this meeting -- it's a great use of the AG. Below are a few
more things we need.

BTW, I'm leaving ag-tech on the CC list only because I'm not certain of
the list of participating sites, or the appropriate technical contacts
for these sites. In general, ag-tech does not need to be cc'ed on mail
regarding specific event preparations (unless the majority of AG sites are
affected by the event).

More stuff we need to prepare:

* Since at least one new node is participating, I'd recommend all
operators arrive at their nodes 60 minutes before the event begins. Also,
when the agenda is finalized please keep in mind that operators need
breaks from time to time, both for any technical fixes which need to be
put in place and for personal needs (say, a 10-minute break every 2
hours).

* It would be very helpful to know the order of the powerpoint
presentations; as long as we've got that information before the meeting
starts, things should go reasonably smoothly. Also, one site needs to
provide the PowerPoint server (the PPT master will rotate from site to
site depending on where the presenter is). BU can provide the PPT server
if desired.

* We need a sense of how fault-tolerant the meeting is. If there are
serious network problems, would it be acceptable to the group if we needed
to break for five minutes while affected sites switch to a network bridge?
If not, we'll need a conference call set up for us to use as a backup
audio solution.

* We need confirmation of which sites are participating. Here's my
understanding:

	* University of Washington
	* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (CS dept node)
	* Boston University
	* Argonne
	* possibly DC (I assume that's ACCESS)

For each of these sites, we need to know who the technical contact is.
Also, I assume somebody's talking to Tom Coffin about whether the
ACCESS-DC node is availabile; I'm aware they were having some trouble with
their audio last week.

* We need to finalize the date and time for our test session, make sure
that all participating sites are available and planning to attend, and
make sure a Virtual Venue room is reserved. I'm guessing from some earlier
mails that Fred's taking care of this?

* Since there's at least one new site participating in the meeting, I want
to underscore the importance of using the MUD as a communications
backchannel during the event. All operators should be on the Venues MUD
during the test session and the actual event. A MUD client connects to the
appropriate room in the Venues MUD on the AG display machine during normal
operations; all operators should watch that MUD throughout the event for
communications from other operators.

- Jennifer