[AG-TECH] Hardware news - towards a single machine node

Allan Spale aspale at evl.uic.edu
Mon Apr 2 10:28:39 CDT 2001

Ivan,

I think having AG APIs is a good idea.  Here are some of the APIs that I
think would be useful to include sometime in the future:

1) Abstract device driver API
Would allow for any device to have its functionalities integrated into the
AG.  I would assume data recording for Voyager should also be required.

2) Core API
Whatever APIs are necessary for the core functionalities of the AG.

3) Computational Grid API
This would allow people who would like to do collaborative high-computing
activities like visualizations to offload some of the processing power to
some other computing source designed for handling the tasks (as in the
case of high-quality rendering where some cluster would handle rendering
and then send the visualization information to the nodes...as I think I
remember seeing in some presentation during the AG retreat).  I am not
that knowledgeable about how AG will integrate into the computational
grid, but that is my thinking on that topic.

4) Accessibility API
Able-bodied people should not be the only ones who can use the AG.  This
would include support for participants with any disabilities like vision
impairments, hearing impairments, and lack of motor control to name a few.

5) Multilanguage APIs
AG is going global so there should be abilities to adapt AG stuff into
many languages or have translation services.

6) Mobile AG APIs
As bandwidth increases and technology improves, this will be more of an
option. That "super machine" that would do all AG stuff will eventually be
laptop-sized, so imagine having a portable AG node in a laptop.  Even more
so...an AG in a PDA.

Just some thoughts for the future when designing stuff.  Although I think
that 1,2, and 4 should be integrated sooner than later.  5 would be nice
depending on how many non-English-speaking people are going to be using
the AG regularly.

Allan Spale
EVL / UIC  node-op