Doing solo sound checks Was: Debugging audio via the UCL reflector

Marty Hoag Marty_Hoag at NDSU.NODAK.EDU
Tue Sep 26 16:33:50 CDT 2000

    I think it was Lisa on the WFG mud that pointed to the following article by
Bob Olson in the ag-tech archives from 1999:

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/web-mail-archive/lists/ag-tech/msg00039.html

   The note explains how to use the UCL reflector to hear what your node sounds
like simply by running the software (e.g. on the video capture machine) and
starting rat in a special way.

   I tried it and have to say it is really useful and easy to use.  When I'm
trying new mics I just fire it up then can walk around the room talking to
myself.  I can hear what the node sounds like after the 3 or 5 second delay.
The best part is that I can do this at any time without having to bug someone
else and without having to interpret the description of my sound.

   There is a link to the program from the AG software download page in the
Linux section (http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/fl/accessgrid/softdownload.htm).

   Before I tried this I had wondered about a special virtual venue ("Echo
Canyon") which would have a system sitting there doing this and provide other
feedback - maybe some vic videos of the meter readings or other sound quality /
packet loss from the other end.  But that does introduce network effects and the
reflector is easy to use.

   Marty