Grid node at eXCHANGE?

Jon Dugan jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 21 22:10:53 CDT 2000

  About 18 months ago Larry Smarr gave a talk at the Internet 2 members
  meeting in Portland, Oregon from an office here in Champaign.

  We used a very nice audio/video codec from Litton for this.  It was a PC
  that you hook a microphone and video camera up to on one side and an
  ethernet on the other.  The catch is that it used quite a bit of a bit of
  bandwidth (3-10Mb/sec).  The video quality was quite good.  I don't have
  much experience with the ISDN based systems, but I was fairly impressed with
  the Litton box.  More information about the Litton box can be obtained from:

    http://www.netaccsys.com/video/index.htm

  I think for this kind of presentation we definitely want higher quality
  video than the Access Grid currently provides.

  Bob, when you refer to a high bandwidth internet connection in San
  Fransisco, what kind of connection are you talking about?  Ideally you would
  connect to Abilene (Internet 2) or vBNS.  In fact Internet 2 has some Litton
  boxes that they loan out:

    http://apps.internet2.edu/roadshows/litton.htm

  Bill Nickless/Bob Olson/Lisa Childers -- comments?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 07:58:07AM -0700, Fogel, Robert wrote:
> You can also reach me at the number below.  During the week of 10/9, Intel
> is hosting the first official rollout of IA-64 and Itanium.  The event
> (called the "eXCHANGE") will host over 5000 OEMs, ISVs, EBSPs and End-Users
> aligned to deliver IA-64 based solutions and products.  Key Notes will be
> delivered by Intel's Andy Grove, Craig Barrett, Paul S. Otellini, HP's Carly
> Fiorina, IBM's John M. Thompson and Microsoft's Bill Gates.
>
> The eXCHANGE is also setting up seven 15 minute live interviews with key
> technology leaders/innovators, and they would like Dan Reed to participate.
> Since Dan is unable to make the engagement in person, the idea came up to
> use the access grid and a live video feed from Champaign for the interview.
> This would be a great PR angle: delivering a message for the future of
> computing using the next generation communications infrastructure...
>
> We don't necessarily expect to setup a grid node at the eXCHANGE itself,
> which is in San Francisco, but perhaps this could be done with a high
> bandwidth internet connection on our end.  Please let us know  what we would
> need on our end.  Thank you.
>
> Robert Fogel
> 253.371.7075

Jon Dugan             |  Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development
jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  57C CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820
217/244-7715          |  http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/people/jdugan