video capture machine

Nickolas S. Jovanovic (501) 569-8226 nsjovanovic at ualr.edu
Wed Sep 13 12:59:29 CDT 2000

Yes, the AMD Athlon is an x86 processor, but it has better floating
point performance than the PIII. But last time I checked, there were
still no dual-CPU motherboards available for the Athlon. They are
supposed to be available by the end of this year (Tyan Dolphin). The
original Athlons used Slot A motherboards, but the newer ones are
using Socket A.

So if dual-CPUs are important for the display and video capture
machines, then the Athlon isn't an option yet.

I have a 32-node Beowulf cluster made out of 600 MHz Athlons, and
the nodes perform very well (faster than the Chiba City PIII nodes at
Argonne). However, I haven't figured out how to get TCP to do efficient
message passing for parallel computing yet, however...

-Nick Jovanovic
 UALR